Wednesday, February 9, 2011

FOOD!!!!

Hello Everyone!

I am sorry it has taken me so long to talk about the food but here it goes. For those of you who know me I have a slight obsession with food. Talking about it...eating it...dreaming about it...anything food and I'm there. Well this may come as quite a shock but I have barely eaten anything since I got here. The food a camp was good but just extremely different. Once we made it back to Annie's we bought some groceries at the Pick n Pay but we didn't get a ton of stuff. We bread, peanut butter, cheese and some fruit. The food in the grocery stores is a lot cheaper than in the states but only if you get the South African brands. They have lots of really good fresh produce and it is very cheap. However, if you buy American brand products such as Hellmans mayo it's about the same price as the US if not more. Overall though the food will be the least expensive thing. I'm sure most of you probably get slightly annoyed with how I rave about food back home all the time but here I have a new beginning in my food journey. No one knew me besides Alyssa before I got here and my goal was to not talk to everyone about food so much. It's amazing what other conversations people can have and what you can learn.

As for everything else going on we have just been taking it all in as it comes. I went with my buddy Patrick to a Greenacres which is like a Walmart inside a mall yesterday. We took a bus there and it only cost a buck. It was about a 40 minute bus ride and very packed. Once there Patrick went to the "Walmart" and I went to get a phone at Vodacom. Electronics here are VERY expensive compared to the US. I got a prepaid plan and it cost me quite a bit but at least we have that security of having a phone. All the stores close early here at 5 or 6 so we got done right a 5 and went to catch a bus back to Annies. Last night was one of those times where I learned to go with the flow. There was suppose to be a bus every half hour but come 6:10 there was still no bus and they said the bus driver probably just decided to quite early. Needless to say we followed some South African's going to Summerstrand..the area in PE we live...and took a minibus back. We went from one got out, and then hopped in another one. It was cramped, hot and a bit crazy but we made it back in one piece. As for Alyssa she hung out with some girls at the cafe and then just went back to Annies. There is so much more to tell but the people I'm with at the cafe this morning are ready to leave so I need to go. I'm trying to post SOME pictures on facebook but once I get internet sorted out things will be more regular. Hope all is well back home and try to stay warm. Lys is STILL fried and I'm thinking it's going to be an everyday thing for the next couple weeks. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment