Friday, February 18, 2011

Thursday 2/17


The alarm clock went off way to early but we have officially been here for two weeks! We woke up at 6:45 to get ready to leave for class by 7:20. We had Post-Apartheid South Africa again and again it was a really interesting class. After that I went to a Xhosa Culture class with some girls to see if I wanted to take that instead of Child & Family Care. I definitely liked the culture a lot more. I also have to write a paper for the class and I think I am going to focus on the family system in Xhosa culture so I will still be researching within my major. After class I had to go to the international office to switch out of the class I was in and join Xhosa Culture. Shawn was there and decided to join the class too! Next it was off to try and get my ID card again. I only had to wait in line for 45 minutes this time before I was able to take my picture and get my ID. After that we decided to eat at the Madibaz CafĂ© on campus. Shawn and Sara liked their food but I didn’t really care for mine (Shocking, I know). After lunch we went to the library to activate our bar code so we can check out books. Not surprisingly however, the lady was on lunch break so that didn’t end up happening. We just hung out on campus for the next couple of hours because we had our volunteer project again in the afternoon. Zanethemba was amazing but also pretty heart wrenching. I will talk more about that later. On our way back from Zanethemba Shawn and I stopped at Spar to get some much needed groceries. It is by far the most food we have bought since we got here. We came home and made a delicious supper. Rice, stir-fry spicy vegetables, rolls, and grapes. It doesn’t sound good-but to us-it was gourmet! After supper we sat for a little while and then were peer pressured into going out dancing for the night! We gave in quite easily J It is ladies night on Thursdays at this place called Belizas. The drinking age in SA is 18 so we were both safe and legal. We took a cab there with a ton of other people from Annie’s. I was SO glad that everyone talked us into going. It was super fun. I was a dancing fool and it was awesome to be able to dance and sing and let loose with everyone we have met. We only stayed until 1 and then Shawn and I were in one of the first cabs back. We crashed (after a much needed grilled cheese)!  No class on Friday so we will definitely be sleeping in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment