Friday, February 18, 2011

Tuesday 2/15


We had class again this morning. It was Post-Apartheid South Africa at 10:45. The class was awesome. It seems so interesting and I already feel like I have learned a ton. The professor is very nice but also very smart. He doesn’t have a problem with making the international students look bad! I don’t think it is intentional though and I think I am really going to like the class. Shawn seemed to really like it too. After that, I had my Child & Family Care class. This one didn’t go quite as smooth. We had a HECK of a time trying to find my classroom. Luckily Shawn is awesome and went with me to help find the room-I really appreciated it! (Some of you may recall the Missouri incident!) The second I walked in the classroom I already felt uncomfortable because it was obvious I was not only the only international student, but also the only person not fully enrolled in the program. The class is part of the social work program at NMMU and unlike in the states, everyone takes the same classes at the same time that is enrolled in that particular program. It is a lot like what Shawn will be doing once he is at Allen. To make matters worse, everyone knew each other and seemed to have a lot to talk about. I just sat and awkwardly read my book. I can say it is the only time I have ever really felt like the minority. Once the lecturer (professor) got there I thought it would be smooth sailing. Nope. The professor proceeded to announce that I was new and asked me where I was from. The class seems really interesting but I ended up dropping it. Not because of the awkwardness mentioned above but because I think it is a little over my head. The students in the class have been taking social work classes since their freshman year. I don’t think the content of the class seems that difficult but I know that I don’t really have the social work background that I think would be necessary to be successful. After our morning on campus we waited in line to try and get our student ID. No luck. Everyone here takes a lunch hour and things just close. So, after waiting in line we learned that the ID center would be closing from 1-2. Oh well, we just walked back to Annie’s and hung out. Later that night we went to a braii a couple of houses down from Annie’s. There is a bunch of German’s that live there. The food and friends were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment